Our Collingwood students want to be global citizens as well as local stewards and community partners. With these roles in mind, our Service strand seeks to instill in our students a sense of awareness of social and environmental issues in our local and global communities through a balanced program. At Wentworth, this program includes:
- A Service Learning approach, where students’ inquiry into social and environmental issues is supported through academic concepts and ongoing reflection.
- Community partnerships with local organizations, which allow students to develop an understanding of community issues such as ecological preservation, senior isolation, food insecurity, and equal access to recreation. These partnerships are essential in giving students the opportunity to interact with individuals in our community, and to be equal agents of change.
- Leadership and volunteering initiatives, which stress the important value of serving the school community. Our students are heavily involved with the organization and execution of important parts of our program, such as weekly assemblies, representing the school through the Admissions Ambassadors program, and recycling initiatives, amongst others.
Visit the Jasper trip portal here for more information and how to apply.
A small group (12 students) of Young Round Square students from Wentworth travel to the Palisades Stewardship Education Centre in Jasper National Park for a leadership training, team building and service project conference. This trip is an annual event that takes place in the fall and is available to dedicated and passionate Young Round Square members.
Visit here for more information on Young Round Square.
Visit the Surf & Service trip portal here for more information and how to apply.
I need the sea because it teaches me.” - Pablo Neruda
Belize Service Project 2019
Visit the Belize information portal here for all the details regarding the Belize Service Project trip in November 2019. This trip is for students currently in grade 9, 10 or 11.
- Poja Prayer Ceremony to bless the new project
- Bollywood Dancing Lessons
- Visit to Rankakpur Temple
- Samosa Making
- Morning Yoga
India 2019: Trip Leader, Mr. Jacoby
Visit the Kenya trip portal here: Information, important dates and application.
We are excited to take this journey to Africa. A Me to We Volunteer Trip is a journey like no other, where students are immersed into a richness of culture, adventure and meaningful community projects. The goal of this trip is aimed at weaving into the very soul of our students the determination to lead a life that makes a difference; a life that understands and embraces responsible citizenship; a life that seeks always to influence others positively.
Visit the Middle School Surf & Service trip portal here for more information and how to apply.
Middle School students from grades 8-9 are invited to apply to attend the first annual Middle School Surf and Service Trip. The trip will take place in Tofino and the surrounding area on Vancouver Island. This region boasts some of the most amazing coastal wilderness in the province. This 5 day/4 night optional trip will focus on leadership, service, group dynamics, and technical skills. In addition to this, students will be taking surf lessons, learning about micro plastics, local history, first nations culture and local flora and fauna.