Entrance Scholarships for the 2017-2018 school year
Scholarship Application Process and Criteria
Collingwood School is committed to attracting and retaining the very best and brightest new students who are well-rounded and university bound. In order to continue to attract outstanding new students, Collingwood School is pleased to offer three (3) Entrance Scholarships to new students applying for admission to Grade 8, 9, 10 or 11 for the 2017-2018 academic year.
1. Submit a completed online application and all required application documents to Collingwood School by January 31, 2017.
2. Complete the Entrance Scholarship Application form and upload it to your online application prior to January 31, 2017.
3. Register for and write one of four scheduled SSAT Standard Scholarship Entrance Exams (ssat.org). Scholarship applicants must attend one of the four designated Standard Scholarship Entrance Exam test dates:
Saturday, October 15, 2016 (not available at Collingwood)
Saturday, November 12, 2016 (not available at Collingwood)
Saturday, December 10, 2016 (offered at Collingwood)
Saturday, January 7, 2017 (not available at Collingwood)
Visit ssat.org for available test locations for each of the above Standard Test dates. Only those who achieve the highest results overall will be considered.
4. Arrange for two separate, confidential letters of recommendation to be written by the applicant’s academic teacher, coach, instructor or other non-relative in an ongoing position of leadership or mentorship. These Entrance Scholarship-specific letters must be mailed or emailed directly and confidentially by each referee to the attention of Collingwood School’s Director of Enrolment and be received or postmarked by January 31, 2017.
Janis Clark, Director of Enrolment
70 Morven Drive
West Vancouver, BC
5. Short-listed candidates will be contacted in late February 2017 via email to schedule a 30-minute in-person interview with the Entrance Scholarship Committee.
6. A Scholarship applicant must be a resident of British Columbia, according to the Ministry of Education, and be eligible for the provincial education grant.
7. The deadline for uploading a completed Scholarship Application form, completing the online application for admission, and uploading all accompanying application documents is January 31, 2017.
8. Scholarship recipients will be notified of the Entrance Scholarship Committee's final decisions by April 3, 2017.
The Entrance Scholarship Committee will review each completed scholarship application received by the January 31, 2017 deadline, and consider the following:
- the applicant’s official SSAT Standard Scholarship Entrance Exam results (see eligible test dates above);
- the applicant's report card results and teacher comments from the final June 2016 report card and from the most current report card from the 2016-2017 school year;
- the applicant’s degree of achievement and current involvement in athletics, the arts, service and leadership; and
- the applicant’s character as revealed in the personal interview and the two confidential letters of reference.
All scholarships are applied to the reduction of School tuition fees. Each scholarship is valued at $5,000 (five thousand Canadian dollars) and is renewable annually provided that the recipient is enrolled full-time at Collingwood School, his/her academic achievement and effort marks remain at a very high standard, and his/her contributions to each of the four strands are ongoing and exemplary.